February 3-13, 2020
Guided by: Landscape Artist Ralf Wall (Raflar)
US$ 4,290 per person sharing
(international airfare not included)
Join Ralf Wall (Raflar) on this incredible journey to Kenya; illustrating the people, wildlife, and landscapes, in a variety of mediums including sketching and watercolours. Each day, Ralf will guide artists on how best to paint and draw outdoors, while interpreting the landscape, and capturing a scene with simple brushstrokes quickly and confidently.
February 3,4: Flight to Nairobi, Kenya
Your international flight takes you to Nairobi, Kenya (arriving February 4). Upon arrival, Ralf will welcome you at the airport, and your drivers will take you to the nearby Eka Hotel where you will receive a refreshing drink and cold face towels while checking in.
February 5,6,7: Lake Naivasha
After breakfast and a short safari briefing, drive from Nairobi and descend into the beautiful Great Rift Valley on your way to Lake Naivasha; photographing and sketching the landscape at various stops along the way. Spend the next three nights at the award-winning Naivasha Sopa Lodge , and watch giraffe and hippos graze from your veranda!
The next day, enjoy a boat cruise across the land and amongst the hippos, followed by a walking safari on the island where much of ‘Out of Africa’ was filmed. This is the ideal spot to view the incredible bird life that reside in the region. Here, you will be tutored by Ralf while standing on the hill and painting the spectacular scenery and animals directly in front of you. Return to Naivasha Sopa Lodge for dinner and the night.
Spend some time relaxing and exploring this beautiful resort, and/or visit the Strong Tower Orphanage where we will have the opportunity to buy and distribute much needed food and school supplies, before hosting an art workshop with these incredibly talented children. Return for dinner and the night at Naivasha Sopa Lodge.
February 8,9,10,11: Maasai Mara National Reserve
Drive through the floor of the Great Rift Valley to the world famous Maasai Mara National Reserve, where you will get to spend the next four nights at the beautifully appointed Ashnil Mara Tented Camp in deluxe tents with en-suite bathrooms and hot showers. Enjoy four full days of exciting game drives, providing you with the chance to sketch, photograph, and paint the full range of African wildlife (eg. lions, leopards, elephants, cheetah, giraffes, buffaloes, hippos, etc). These four days will be filled with opportunities to go on early morning and late afternoon game drives, with the occasional picnic lunch out on the savannah.
Since our group will have two Landcruisers with ‘pop-up’ roofs, some of us may choose to photograph the wildlife from one vehicle, while the artists in the group can take their time in the other vehicle, stopping when needed (and as long as desired) to paint herds of animals, sleeping lions, or we can choose to set up our easels on the hills overlooking the vast and beautiful landscapes. Regardless of your medium, the Maasai Mara is one of the premier wildlife reserves in the world, and we will be sleeping in the centre of it!
February 12,13: Nairobi Departure Flight
After one last wildlife drive, board your charter flight (included) back to your Nairobi day room near the international airport for a chance to swim, shower, and share a final dinner together. Transfer to the airport for your flight home (arriving on February 13), with memories of a unique adventure that will last a lifetime!
Included for this safari:
- En-suite accommodations (based on double occupancy) and all meals as per the itinerary.
- Exclusive transport in 4×4 Landcruisers with ‘pop-up’ roof and guaranteed window seat.
- Services of exceptional English-speaking guides, knowledgeable of the local region and culture.
- Long-range radio communication (and access to mobile phone) for the duration of the trip.
- Complimentary bottled drinking water.
- Daily safari briefings and art guidance by Ralf Wall.
- All park entry fees, conservation fees, entrance fees, airport transfers, and departure taxes.
- Guided safari walks, school/orphanage visits, and cultural excursions as per the itinerary.
- Leadership in ethical, socially responsible practices.
- A domestic chartered flight (February 12th) as mentioned in the itinerary.
- A day room on February 12th.
- Complete pre-departure information including packing lists, trip itinerary, and flight details.
- International airfare.
- Travel/medical/cancellation/interruption insurance.
- Art supply kit from Curry’s if so desired.
- Single Supplement (if you would like your own room).
- Passport fees, inoculations, and Tourist Entry Visa.
- Gratuities for drivers and any optional excursions.
- Souvenirs, soft drinks, bar beverages, laundry, email, phone, and items of a personal nature.